[webdev] Web Design Update: September 14, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: September 14, 2017

David Dillard
Administrator

.

.

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 06:28:06 -0500

From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>

To: webdev <[hidden email]>

Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: September 14, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 12, September 14, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 12 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: JAVASCRIPT.

06: MISCELLANEOUS.

07: NAVIGATION.

08: TYPOGRAPHY.

09: USABILITY.

10: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Wide Review Draft of WCAG 2.1

By Michael Cooper.

"The Accessibility Guidelines Working Group has published an updated
Working Draft of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1…"

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2017JulSep/0182.html

Getting Started with Website Accessibility

By Carie Fisher.

"Website accessibility is a buzzword these days, but not everyone has
a firm grasp on what that term means…"

https://medium.com/statuscode/
getting-started-with-website-accessibility-5586c7febc92

Building an Accessible Auto-Complete (Slide Deck)

By Russ Weakley.

"This presentation for A11yBytes Camp Sydney 2017 takes a deep dive
into how to create an auto-complete search function that is accessible
to a range of different users including keyboard-only and screen
reader users. Along the way, we will explore important keystrokes and
aria attributes that can be used enhance the experience for all
users…"

https://www.slideshare.net/maxdesign/building-an-accessible-autocomplete

Designing Accessible Forms

By Pri Hossain.

"…In this article, we'll focus on some basic principles of highly
accessible forms…"

https://blog.prototypr.io/designing-accessible-forms-82f2ea11697f

PDF Help Desk

By Jon Metz.

"Where remediators come for advice from other remediators…"

https://github.com/metzessible/PDFHelpDesk

Throwing Your Organization's Money Away Or Why Must Your Organization
Pay to Test Accessibility of IT Products and Services It Purchases??

By Jeff Kline.

"But taking it seriously by no means translates into spending large
sums of money, time, and other resources to thoroughly test the
accessibility of the product or service that you just procured, or are
in the process of procuring…"

https://jeffklinesstrategicitaccessibilityblog.wordpress.com/
2017/09/05/throwing-your-organizations-money-away-or-why-must-your/

Do You Really Care About Accessibility? Stop Box Ticking!

By Ross Mullen.

"We need to think about accessibility as not only ensuring web content
is accessible but making sure that a culture of accessibility
permeates through an entire organisation…"

https://boagworld.com/accessibility/
really-care-accessibility-stop-box-ticking/

The Promise of Personalized Interfaces

By Matthew Atkinson.

"…how can conflicting requirements for very large fonts and
touch-target areas on a small-screen device be realised? How can the
application fit into these seemingly irreconcilable constraints?…"

https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2017/09/
the-promise-of-personalised-interfaces/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS @-Rules, an Overview

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"Did you know that @media and @import are the two most popular at-rules?…"

https://meiert.com/en/blog/css-at-rules/

Designed for Inclusion: Writing CSS with Accessibility (Speaker Deck)

By Manuel Matuzovic.

"Web accessibility has so many facets, that learning about it and
implementing it correctly may seem daunting to some of us. Just
imagine excluding a whole group of users by simply declaring * {
outline: none; }…"

https://speakerdeck.com/matuzo/
designed-for-inclusion-writing-css-with-accessibility-in-mind

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Don't 'Validate' Designs; Test Them

By Kara Pernice.

"The phrase 'validate the design' discourages teams from finding and
following up on UX issues in user testing. UX research must drive
design change, not just pat designers on the back."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/no-validate-in-ux/

How to Determine Task Completion

By Jeff Sauro.

"Task completion is one of the fundamental usability metrics…"

https://measuringu.com/determine-task-completion/

Remote Usability Testing with InVision and Google Forms

By Chris Blow.

"We're assuming that you want to get feedback on some new UI designs
prepared with a tool like Sketch, Photoshop, Balsamiq or Keynote. Here
is the idea…"

https://medium.com/meedan-updates/
remote-usability-testing-with-invision-and-google-forms-126521d8779d

+04: EVENTS.

2017 Legal Update on Digital Accessibility Cases with Lainey Feingold

September 19, 2017.

Online

http://www.3playmedia.com/resources/webinars/
webinar-registration-09-19-2017/

Android Mobile Accessibility

September 19, 2017.

Online

https://www.deque.com/blog/
announcing-upcoming-webinar-android-mobile-accessibility/

Accessibility 101: An Ingredient in the Recipe, Not an Addition for Afterwards

September 21, 2017.

Online

https://www.accessibilityonline.org/ada-tech/session/?id=110631

Video Accessibility at the University of Washington

September 21, 2017.

Online

http://www.3playmedia.com/resources/
webinars/webinar-registration-09-21-2017/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

JavaScript and Accessibility: Don't Blame the Language

By Everett Zufelt.

"One thing that makes the web exciting, at least to me, is that it's
open to all…"

https://medium.com/myplanet-musings/
javascript-and-accessibility-dont-blame-the-language-81ec189b163a

CSS in JS is Like Replacing a Broken Screwdriver with Your Favorite Hammer

By Kevin Ball.

"There's a ton of interest these days in CSS in JS…"

https://zendev.com/2017/09/11/css-in-js.html

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Closing Keynote: Evaluating Technology (Video)

By Jeremy Keith.

"…This talk will help you evaluate tools and technologies in a way
that best benefits the people who use the websites that we are
designing and developing…"

https://vimeo.com/232223277

+07: NAVIGATION.

Implement Global Navigation to Improve Website Usability

By Priscilla Esser.

"When you're designing a new website, application, or other product,
you always start with the global idea and structure before addressing
more detailed issues. Designing the navigation on a website is no
different…"

https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/
implement-global-navigation-to-improve-website-usability

+08: TYPOGRAPHY.

Internet is Becoming Unreadable Because of a Trend Towards Lighter,

Thinner Fonts

By Sarah Knapton. (Hat tip to Jim Allan)
"he internet is becoming unreadable because of a trend towards lighter
and thinner fonts, making it difficult for the elderly or
visually-impaired to see words clearly, a web expert has found..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/10/23/
internet-is-becoming-unreadable-because-of-a-trend-towards-light/

15 Best Web Safe Fonts That Work With HTML and CSS

By Robert Mening.

"…Web safe fonts give you a Plan B. A fallback option for when your
first option might not work.…"

https://websitesetup.org/web-safe-fonts-html-css/

+09: USABILITY.

Audio Signifiers for Voice Interaction

By Kathryn Whitenton.

"Provide explicit, implicit, and nonverbal signifiers to help users
understand their options in voice-interaction interfaces."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/audio-signifiers-voice-interaction

+10: XML.

Accessible SVG Line Graphs

By Léonie Watson.

SVG is often used for data visualisation, but because SVG lacks the
semantics to express structures like bar charts, line graphs, and
scatter plots, the content is difficult for screen reader users to
interpret. The solution is to use the technique for creating
accessible SVG tables as your starting point…"

https://tink.uk/accessible-svg-line-graphs/

Accessible SVG Test Page

By Dennis Lembree.

https://weboverhauls.github.io/demos/svg/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson